Nelson Morales, Union Hidalgo Oaxaca.
- He was born in Unión Hidalgo Oaxaca on September 25, 1982. He studied in his town until high school, then moved to the city of Oaxaca to study communication sciences at the José Vasconcelos University. For nearly twelve years he has devoted himself entirely to photography. His work focuses mainly on sexual diversity and identity.
- He has studied different workshops and programs specialized in contemporary photography such as: Book Incubator Program, La Hydra, Mexico, 2016. Seminar on Contemporary Photography, Center of Image, Mexico, 2015. Contemporary Photography Program, Gymnasium of Art and Culture, 2013, Fotoensayo 5, Pachuca Mexico 2012 and others.
- He has held several individual and collective exhibitions in Mexico and in countries such as Spain, Malaysia, Colombia, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, United States, The Netherlands, Greece, El Salvador, Brazil, Costa Rica, Singapore, Poland, Argentina, Canada, Peru,UK, Uruguay and Mexico.
- In 2014 was selected by the film director Rigoberto Pérez Cano to make the still photograph of his film Carmín Tropical.
- In 2022 he participates as a main character in three documentary productions from different countries.
- He currently teaches workshops, conferences and is also a jury in various competitions in Mexico and abroad.
He has obtained several awards such as:
- Grant winner PATROCINIOS by Jumex Foundation.
- Finalist in the international photography contest Bialystok, Poland.
- Selected by the Filter Photo gallery in the open call for exhibition proposals in 2021.
- Shorlisted Helsinki Photofestival.
- Selected at the festival Queer Spectra Arts Festival in Salt Lake City.
- Selected at the festival“Queer Is not anti” Heidelberg Germany.
- Winner of «Zine» category. Center Stage in Moscow Russia.
- Finalist of the Robert Giard grant scholarship, New York.
- Shortlisted in the SI FEST Marcos Pesaresi Prize competition, Forlì, Italy.
- He was recognized as a member of the National System of Creators of the Mexican Ministry of Culture’s National Culture and Arts Endowment.
- In 2020 was selected by Air gallery, New York in the competition “An overwhelming response”.
- Nominee for the World Press Photo 2020, Joop Swart Masterclass, Amsterdam Netherlands.
- Winner of the PRIDE PHOTO AWARD in the category: HISTORIES in 2019. Winner in the contest Arte abierto. Musas Muxe photobook Recognitions *FOLA Photobook award, finalist. *Honorable mention to the best Photobook of 2018 POY LATAM, Quito Ecuador.* Prix du Livre from Les Rencontres de la photographie Shortlisted, Arles France. *Finalist in the TINTA contest, for the best photobook of 2018 in Lima Peru).
Fantastic woman photobook
* Selected in th photofestival Medphoto, Crete Greece.
- Selected in the XVIII biennial of the center of the image.
- Selected in the portfolio review of the New York Times.
- Selected in the third contest of contemporary photography in Mexico
- Winner, International Photography Contest, Diversity and Peace, Guanajuato México. PECDA Oaxaca grant.
- Finalist, II Oaxaca Photography Biennial, Mexico 2015-2016 FONCA Young Artists Fellowship awarded
- Honorific Mention, POY Latam, Latin America Honorific Mention, II Hector Garcia Biennial, Mexico
- Finalist, I Oaxaca Photography Biennial, Mexico
- Finalist, Kuala Lumpur Photo Fest Awards, Kuala Lumpur
- Finalist, “El trabajo y los días” (Work and days), Colombia
Fotoensayo Fellowship Awarded, Mexico
- Winner, “Te hace ver mas” (Makes you see more), Channel 11, Mexico
- Winner, “Los jóvenes, la primavera visual de sus crisis y sus esperanzas”, Mexico
- Stella Johnson Scholarship to participate as the Mrs. Johnson photographer assistant 2010 Honorific Mention, “Jóvenes en el Espejo” (Young people on the mirror), Mexico
“Fantasctic woman” photobook.
“Musas muxe” photobook.
“I am the Queen” Zine
“Varon” Artist photobook
Reveal and Detonate Book
photography in Mexico ca. 2015 RM Editorial
Kuala Lumpur international portrait photoawards catalogue
Foam Museum, anual catalogue, Amsterdam Netherlands,
“Future gender” Aperture Magazine
XVIII biennial of the Centro de la imagen in México catalogue México city
Extra Extra Magazine Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Harper´s Bazaar Art, México
“Borrador de un cuerpo intervenido” Catalogue, Buenos Aires,Argentina
Caussete Magazine, Paris France
“O Tempo de nossas vidas ” catalogue, Brasilia Brasil
“Muxe” Catalogue. Autonomous University of the State of Mexico
Balam magazine, Buenos Aires Argentina
OSMOS Magazine, issue 21, New York
Hunger Magazine, October issue, London U.K.
Merde Magazine, Issue V, CONTRA, L.A.
- Ackland Art museum
- Bank of America Merry Linch.
- Nall Hollis collection
- Mc Nay Art Musem collection.
New York Times
The British Journal of photography
Conteiner love art
Elizabeth Avendon Journal
Curated by girls
L’Œil de la Photographie
American suburb x
Birth in flight